THE COLLECTION OF THE AUSTRIAN FEDERAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR GRAPHICS

 

In the year 2000 the collection of the first school in the entire world to specialise in photography
and reproduction technology was passed to the Albertina on permanent loan. It comprises about 70,000 pictures, 15,000 books, as well as numerous cameras and other photographic accessories.
 
Founded in 1888 by the photographic chemist, historian and pedagogue, Josef Maria Eder, the school has in its possession, above all, a collection of model templates with extraordinary early examples of photographic techniques (including a copy of the first book ever to contain photographs, entitled “Pencil of Nature”, by William Henry Fox Talbot) as well as numerous daguerreotypes.
Beyond that, numerous examples of images from the experimental laboratories of the “The Graphic” [institute] have also been preserved, ranging from the first Austrian x-ray pictures through high-speed and micro photography to photo-chemical traces of electrical discharges.
From 1909 onwards, “The Graphic” furthermore became a centre of Pictorialist photography, training some of its principal Austrian exponents, including Rudolf Koppitz, Antios (Anton Josef Třcka), Karel Novák and Trude Fleischmann, of whose works the collection holds numerous examples.
 
 

Picture Gallery

 

Felix J. A. Moulin
Nude Girl Standing with a Linen Shirt in Her Hand, 1849
Ludwig Angerer
The Poet Franz Grillparzer, 1860-70
Louis-Alphonse Davanne
Pont de Bétharram in the Pyrenees, around 1862
Carl Haack
Microphotographic Camera, 1871
 
Albert Londe
Man Pulling a Barrel, around 1891
Josef Maria Eder
Two Goldfish and One Deep-Sea Fish (Christiceps Argentatus), 1896
Hermann Schnaus
Electrographic Picture of a Hand, 1900
Anonymous

Photographic Rocket Designed by Alfred Maul, Ready to Fire, 1904

 

Rudolf Koppitz
Composition, 1925

Rudolf Koppitz
Movement Study, 1926

Trude Fleischmann

Mrs Gusti S., around 1935