A pair of candelabra for Archduke Charles, 1822-25
A gouache from the Danhauser furniture factory illustrates that this pair of candelabra formed part of a proposal for the palaces interior decoration under Archduke Charles.
The design shows the candelabra flanking a carved and gilded settee upholstered in red damask, with elaborate drapery in the background, thus identifying them as so-called canapé candelabra, which were used to illuminate the large official rooms in addition to chandeliers and wall appliques.
The candelabras precious execution in fire-gilded bronze instead of carved and gilded wood suggests that they were originally installed in the palaces official rooms and not in the private apartments. The pairs superior quality attests to the high level of Viennese bronze work during the first half of the nineteenth century.