Conceived for a symmetrical arrangement, these two commodes were manufactured by the Danhauser furniture factory around 1822-25 as part of the furnishings for Archduke Charless palace. Until 1847 - the year Archduke Charles died - they were set up between the two windows in his bedroom and room of his demise, underneath the mirrors embedded in the wall.
In 1919, they were being used in Archduke Fredericks bedroom.
Their mirrored sides and fronts must be seen in the context of the mirrors mounted above them. The rooms enlargement achieved through the wall mirrors was thus consistently continued in these closed pieces of furniture and extended even to the lower sections of the room.