The Hall of the Muses

 

The central stateroom, the Hall of the Muses, was used as a dining room and as a glamorous venue for soirées and balls. The grand hall was transformed into a sea of light by five crystal chandeliers and 258 candles set in a rosette frieze that ran around the hall.

Hall of the Muses © Albertina, Vienna (Photo: Alexander Ch. Wulz)

Hall of the Muses

The opulence is enhanced by precious stucco marble wall panels and pilasters, and gilded doors and decorative elements. The hall derives its name from the life-sized sculptures of Apollo and the nine Muses. The Canova-inspired sandstone figures with a mock marble finish were the work of a leading Viennese sculptor, Joseph Klieber (1773-1850)