Fashion Show, Hotel Pierre, New York, 1940-1946
Photographs were already being collected at the Albertina as long as 150 years ago, as a straightforward continuation and
modernisation of the emphasis that had always been laid on graphic art reproductions. In the year 1999 followed the establishment
of a separate scholarly section devoted to photography. Since then the collection has been expanded by compendious holdings.
Janos Frecot, the former director of the photographic collection of the
made a selection from the new acquisitions of the photographic collection comprising some 250 exhibits. The spectrum of the
exhibition ranges from joyful, lively city and street photographs through works of architectural photography and rigidly conceptual
works to pictures that convey and reflect dreams, memories and fears.