The Hermann Gerlinger Collection is one of the most important collections of works by "The Bridge" ("Die Brücke") group of artists outside the "Brücke" Museum of Berlin.
The "Bridge" artists community community stands at the outset of the Expressionist movement. This pioneering artists collective was founded in 1905 by four architecture students, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl, Erich Heckel and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. They were joined, in years to come, by (among others) Max Pechstein, Otto Mueller and, for a short time, also by Emil Nolde. The aim of this first and most significant group of Expressionist artists was to set out upon radically new artistic pathways.
The roughly 260 works of the exhibition offer comprehensive insight into the extraordinary and highly expressive pictorial worlds of the "Bridge" artists. The works of the Hermann Gerlinger and the Albertina Museums own collections are augmented by works on loan from the Moritzburg Foundation, the Art Museum of the German Land of Sachsen-Anhalt, and also works held by other Vienna museums and private collections.